May 22, 2016

Aunty Joy Memorial Service / Toronto, CA / May 21, 2016

Joy Jyotirmoyee Christo Juriansz / January 22, 1922 - March 1, 2016

On May 21, 2016, about a hundred family members and friends gathered to remember and honor the life of Aunty Joy, my dad's sister.




Eight first cousins were present:
Mercy's children: Asha [first from left in the front row]; Preeti [third from left in the front row]
Mae's children: Vicki [back row, third from left]; David [second from right]; Christopher [first from right]
Joy's children: Brian and Russell [first and second from left]
Gerald's daughter: Lorna [second from left in the front row]

Reconnecting with family:
Aunty Maureen and Marilyn

Vicki and Eddie

Jonathan and 

Chris with ___ and Caitlyn

Brian and Jewel

Preeti came from Chicago to spend the day with us. Here she is getting her palm read by Aunty Barbara as Raphael looks on.

Ali and Leila the day after.

My spoken tribute at the service:
Message from my dad, Aunty Joy's brother.
Apart from our childhood together, I didn't get to know Joy until she married Frank. Our young families spent time together working at Spicer College and again in North India. Frank and Joy met my wife Birol before I had, and Joy and Birol got on very well. All too suddenly we were separated by their decision to migrate to Canada. There is nothing more heart-breaking than saying good-bye to loved ones leaving by sea. The ship takes an excruciating long time to get to the horizon, and we watched until we could see it no more, believing we would never see each other again, but we did--after seven long years, and then again after another eight years when I brought Birol for a visit. By then it seemed time had lost its relevance.

Birol and I remember Joy for her loving and caring ways. We spent many happy hours with Joy and Frank in their home. She was a fabulous cook. We went on camping trips together. And on one of their trips to India, Joy's dream of staying at the Taj Mahal Hotel was fulfilled.

I admire Joy for the person of integrity and character that she was; of the compassion and forgiveness that she exhibited in her life. I admire her because of her courage in times of adversity. What more can a younger brother expect of a sister?

My hope for you is that you will be kind to one another and hold on to the hope of being reunited with our loved ones on the resurrection morning.

With love, Uncle Gerald

MY TRIBUTE
In 1955 when Aunty Joy, and the others, immigrated to Canada, I had not yet been born; however, growing up I was the recipient of many gifts. Parcels would arrive from Aunty Joy with dresses, and baby doll nighties, and once a beautiful china tea set that gave my sister and me many pleasurable hours of playing. Later as a young woman with a family of my own, the gifts from Aunty Joy continued to arrive in the form of checks at Christmastime. In 1990 when I immigrated to Alberta, Aunty Joy and Uncle Frank were the first relatives to visit, bringing us a gift of a fine cutlery set. I was 35 and met Aunty Joy for the very first time then.

It was not until 2006, when I came to live with Aunty Joy at 57 Virgilwood. that I came to know her most intimately. Aunty Joy was a widow of a few months, and I as a result of unanticipated circumstances was alone as well. We were both lonely with aching hearts.

It was during this period that I was the beneficiary of her best gifts. She gave me the gift of caring—in the form of hot cooked meals that we shared together every evening after my long work day had ended. She gave me the gift of companionship—including me in her daily activities, whether it was folding laundry, cooking together for family events, or helping her choose a new outfit for her upcoming cruise with Aunty Christobal. She gave me the gift of trust—sharing with me personal thoughts and feelings. But most important to me was her gift of unconditional love.



At this time I invite you to watch a video with a brief message from my dad – and words from Aunty Joy recorded on her 90th birthday. Let's listen to what she has to say.


Click here to view the video: 

1 comment:

  1. Hi there,

    Toronto laundromat services is an awesome laundromats service.This is one type of business that can carry on for a long time because of the high demand for the service. The main essentials in building a laundromat service is that you start with a solid foundation and plan.Take a look at-ou can purchase a laundromat without having to worry about all the employees, details, maintenance costs, etc..See more at- 24 hour Toronto coin laundromat


    Thanks and welcome
    Sharmin

    ReplyDelete