March 13, 2015

Last day in Florida -- and the United States -- i.e. until April 21 -- as we'll be off to Rio de Janeiro tomorrow evening.

My very first visit to the Sunshine State and I have many many impressions. Here are a few:

1. Skyscrapers as many and as high as you might see in Shanghai; all along the waterfront. This was the only beach with real waves and surf. We've seen lots of water but mostly they're inlets, or coves, or swamps and marshes. The water canals add a feeling of being in a foreign country -- some place in Europe. We understand taking a tour in a water taxi is something that a tourist must do. We'll have to save that for our next trip.


2. As in California, people are probably more health conscious; fewer people are overweight. However, a much greater percentage include retired individuals. Dress is informal. I have a feeling people wear shorts all year round. Older women in the skimpiest outfits I've seen anywhere -- leathery wrinkled and tanned skin everywhere you look. I told Raphael I would live in a cold country when I grew old, so I'd be forced to cover up!


I mean, I like that older people are comfortable and confident in their aging sagging bodies, but Florida, like California are meant for young beautiful people.


3. Exotic fauna ... and flora. I would love to explore more of the Everglades by canoe, although I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like running into alligators/



Osprey

Mangroves

Grey heron

Anhinga (snake bird)


No comments:

Post a Comment